Sunday, October 11, 2015

Another Sabbath

Today was a camera-free day. My back has been killing me, so I needed to take a break from having the weight on my shoulder. We didn’t go anywhere that I could take pictures anyway.

This morning we attended the church I grew up in, Grace Church Congregational.

In the afternoon, we went to a concert of the Dover String Quartet at South Mountain Concert Hall, a historic performance hall nestled in the trees atop South Mountain. Built in 1918 by Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge (“the Fairy Godmother of Chamber Music”) on her own property, it is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. “The hall was built to resemble a church, featuring a cupola on the roof and a porte cochere. The main timbers for the building were taken from an old textile mill, and the seats were pews taken from a church.” The acoustics are amazing.

The Dover Quartet thrilled us with Mozart’s Quartet in B-flat Major, K. 458 “Hunt”, a piece called “Ainsi la Nuit” by Dutilleux, and (joined by Paul Watkins, cello) Schubert’s Cello Quintet in C Major, Op. 163.

No comments:

Post a Comment